Updated February 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm
Angel Fire Mayor Stuart Hamilton is asking all residents to be aware of an urgent situation involving an interruption of natural gas delivery to Northern New Mexico. The towns of Taos, Red River, and Questa are affected and have declared a state of emergency.
Although Angel Fire is not reliant on natural gas there is the risk of extreme strain to the electrical grid that will affect the area. We expect the risk will continue throughout the weekend and are asking all residents and visitors to be frugal with their use of electricity.
The following precautions need to be taken immediately to prevent a rolling electrical blackout.
- Conserve energy to prevent further drain on the system, especially tonight between the hours of 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
- Do not use computers, televisions or other non-essential items that require electricity.
- Turn thermostats to 65 degrees or lower.
- Stay off cell phones except for emergency situations.
- Never use a range or oven as a supplemental heating source.
- Do not rely on candles as a heat source.
- Make sure smoke and CO detectors are in working order.
- Conserve heart sources as much as possible.
If you lose power resulting in the inability to heat your home, please call 575-377-3347 or drive to the Angel Fire Fire Station on North Angel Fire Road and you will be referred to a shelter.
Kit Carson Electric Cooperative is monitoring this problem and has staff working 24 hours a day until the emergency passes.
Updates, as they become available, will be posted on the Sangre de Cristo Chronicle Web site at www.sangrechronicle.com.