Skiing and snowboarding not your thing? Join us for a fun-filled weekend of high-speed shovel racing and Mardi Gras celebrations. The Angel Fire Resort shovel races even made Jettsetter’s list of 11 Craziest Winter Adventures and Men’s Journal as a World Championships You Can Win! Register now to be come part of the 37th Annual World Championship Shovel Races.
If you don’t want to jump on a shovel and race down the mountain, this event is still a must-attend while in Angel Fire! Party like a local and watch the races unfold while you enjoy FREE Red Bull and sip on a few drinks at the cash bar. After the races stick around for live music & the Awards Ceremony in The Village Haus.
Friday, February 5 | Practice & Registration Day
It costs $5 to register for practice runs and that cost will be refunded for registered racers. Registration is open from 12-5 at The Village Haus, after you register and sign a release, practice runs are available until 5:00 pm.
All racers must have a lift ticket or season/membership pass to access lift #2. You can purchase Lift tickets to access lift #2 during registration for $10. Helmets and eye protection are required, and they can be rented or purchased at Slopeside Sports, the base area ski rental shop. Officials will be at the top of the course to assist.
There will also be a mandatory racers meeting at 5 pm in The Village Haus for first-time racers.
Saturday, February 6 | Late Registration & Race Day
Racing starts at 9:30 am. Racers must check in with the Start Official at least 15 minutes prior to their start time.
Awards party in The Village Haus at 5:30 pm.
Register online to get your free Shovel Races T-shirt, but register early as T-shirt sizes cannot be guaranteed to those registered after Friday, January 22. Online registration officially closes Thursday, February 4.
Once your online registration is submitted, within a few days an Angel Fire Resort representative will reach out to you to formally complete the registration process.
|Racer Type||Online Pre-Registration
Includes Free T-Shirt
|Little Scoops (ages 6-9)||$15||$15||$25|
|Youth (ages 10-13)||$20||$20||$30|
|Junior (ages 14-17)||$25||$25||$35|
|Adults (ages 18+)||$35||$35||$50|
This year we awarding the most cash prizes in history, over $3,200!
Little Scoops: Pizza Stop Gift Certificate & Prize Medal
Youth: 1st $100 | 2nd $50 | 3rd $30
Junior: 1st $100 | 2nd $50 | 3rd $30
Adult Women: 1st $200 | 2nd $100 | 3rd $50
Adult Men: 1st $200 | 2nd $100 | 3rd $50
Master Men: 1st $200 | 2nd $100 | 3rd $50
Pro Women: 1st $500 | 2nd $300 | 3rd $100
Pro Men: 1st $500 | 2nd $300 | 3rd $100
Friday, February 5
- 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm – Onsite REGISTRATION at The Village Haus
- 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm – PRACTICE DAY at the top of the course
- 5:00 pm RACERS MEETING at The Village Haus [Mandatory for FIRST-TIME Shovel Racers]
Saturday, February 6
- 8:00 am to 9:00 am – REGISTRATION at The Village Haus
- 9:30 am – LITTLE SCOOPS (ages 6-9) First Run
- 9:45 am – LITTLE SCOOPS Second Run
- 10:00 am – WOMEN IN MEDIA
- 10:45 am – YOUTH (ages 10-13) First Run
- 11:00 am – JUNIOR (ages 14-17) First Run
- 11:15 am – YOUTH Second Run
- 11:30 am – JUNIOR Second Run
- 12:45 pm – ADULT WOMEN PRO First Run
- 1:00 pm – ADULT MEN PRO First Run
- 1:15 pm – ADULT WOMEN PRO Second Run
- 1:30 pm – ADULT MEN PRO Second Run
- 1:45 pm – ADULT WOMEN First Run
- 2:00 pm – ADULT MEN (ages 18-44) First Run
- 2:15 pm – MASTERS MEN (ages 45+) First Run
- 2:30 pm – ADULT WOMEN Second Run
- 2:45 pm – ADULT MEN Second Run
- 3:00 pm – MASTERS MEN Second Run
- 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm – JIMMY STADLER BAND SHOVEL RACE PARTY at The Village Haus
- 5:30 pm – AWARDS CEREMONY at The Village Haus
- Racers can only compete in their age category, unless registered in a Pro category (for those ages 18 and older).
- Production shovels only, no modifieds.
- All racers must have a lift ticket or season/membership pass to access lift #2.
- Lift tickets to access lift #2 will be sold at registration for $10.
- Everyone will be required to sign a release. Releases will be available during registration. Minors will need a parent or guardian present to sign the release.
- Angel Fire Resort will have a very limited number of shovels for use so it is recommended that all racers bring their own shovels. Helmets and eye protection are required, but will not be supplied by Angel Fire Resort. However, they can be rented or purchased at Slopeside Sports, the base area ski rental shop.
- You must be wearing a bib to be on-course, with the exception of the Practice Run where a wristband is required.
- The practice course is $5, but you must sign a release and show your wristband and wear a helmet and eye protection.
Racers must check in with the Start Official at least 15 minutes prior to their start time. All Racers (with the exception of Little Scoops) will be seeded randomly for their first run and seeded by time (slowest time first – fastest time last) for their second run. If a racer is not present for their age category time slot, they will not be allowed to race that run and will be given a DNS, Did Not Start.
- No physical alterations are allowed to the running surface of the grain scoops (shovels) other than the application of wax or similar type substance to the underside or bottom of the scoop. You may adhere tape or other similar materials to the handle of the shovel to make it easier to grip. You may paint the seat of the grain scoop but no traction aiding substance is allowed.
- Barging the start gate constitutes a false start. First false start in a heat is a warning, the second false start in a heat is a disqualification.
- If a racer is not in contact with their shovel upon crossing the finish line, that racer will receive a DNF (did not finish) for that run. Should a racer lose complete contact with their shovel during a run, they will receive a DNF for that run and will be required to immediately move laterally off the course.
- Protests can only be made by the competitor immediately following the completion of their run, before leaving finish area. Protests will only be accepted at the main scoreboard. All protests must include a $20 fee. This fee will be refunded to the competitor if the Judging and Inspection Committee deems the protest valid. If not, the money will not be refunded.
Finish Times: The time elapsed from the start to the finish will be electronically measured and recorded to .001 second when the competitor, sitting in/on the scoop of the shovel passes through the designated finish line.
Ties: The fastest two-run combined time will be the winner.