By Jo Mixon
On Wednesday, May 13, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham announced updates to the Public Health Order.
What will change Saturday, May 16:
- All retailers may operate according to COVID-Safe Practices (“CSPs”) at 25 % fire code occupancy (a “retailer” is any business that sells goods directly to the ultimate consumer. It includes liquor stores. It does not include wholesalers or suppliers. It does not does include entertainment venues such as movie theaters, concert halls, visitor centers or amusement parks
- Office spaces and call centers, may operate according to CSPs at up to 25% of pre-crisis staffing levels. But all employees should continue to work from home wherever possible.
- Churches may operate at 10 % occupancy
- Some state parks and certain outdoor recreation guides with COVID-Safe Practices will be able to open
- Masks will be required of everyone in public places, with exceptions for eating, drinking, exercising and medical requirements.
* The eased restrictions above do not apply to the Northwest public health region, which includes Cibola, McKinely and San Juan counties.
What will remain the same:
- New Mexicans must remain home except for outings essential for health, safety and welfare, especially elderly and vulnerable individuals. If you must leave home, gatherings of more than five people remain prohibited and 6 feet of physical distance from others must be maintained.
- Large retailers like big-box stores and grocery stores will continue operating at 20 % capacity as determined by fire code.
- Gyms, swimming pools, salons, barbers, spas, dine-in service at restaurants, bars, indoor malls, massage and tattoo parlors, theaters, casinos.etc, remain closed
- 14-day quarantine order remains in place for out-of-state commercial airport arrivals.
- Vacation rentals prohibited to out-of-state residents.
- Visits to long-term care and other congregate care facilities remain restricted.
COVID-Safe Practices for all retailers
- Adhere to maximum occupancy limits per public health order
- Face coverings for all employees
- Maintain schedule of stringent daily cleaning/sanitizing, including frequent cleaning of high-contact items and surfaces (doors, credit card terminals, counter tops, etc.)
- Establish protocols for contactless pickup and delivery wherever possible